Travel Insurance for Snowboarding and Skiing
Whether your snowboarding or skiing at a resort, or planning to go off the beaten track in the back country or even heli-ski, you’re here because you need reliable travel insurance to cover you on your winter holiday before you hit the white powder and the half pipes.
Snowboarders Travel Insurance
Dreaming of snow this year. Hit the slopes with peace of mind by adding winter sports to your travel insurance policy. Snowboarding and skiing cover for on or off-piste within resort boundaries.
The Winter Sports option will suit your international and domestic travel, whether you are a beginner or experienced snowboarder, we can provide cover while on and off the piste for you and your snow gear.
Surf Travel Insurance can provide you with cover while participating in the following snow activities at no additional cost:
- Snowboarding and Skiing (on or off piste within resort boundaries) when on approved runs (groomed or ungroomed) and in permitted areas designated as safe and patrolled by resort authorities.
- Snowboarding and Skiing within terrain park boundaries; excluding acrobatics.
- Backcountry snow skiing and snowboarding, including heli-skiing and cat skiing, when with a licensed tour operator and in areas designated as safe by the operator and local authorities.
- Overseas medical expenses for sudden illness or serious injury
- Medical evacuation to the nearest medical facility for treatment, including any transportation by ski patrol
- Cancellation or additional expenses incurred if you are injured whilst participating in snow skiing/boarding activities.
- Your ski gear (skis/board, boots & bindings, clothing) is covered up to a maximum of $700 per item, unless specified. You can be covered for valuable items up to $4000 per item by specifying the item for an additional premium at the time you purchase your policy. There is no deprecation applied to items you specifically nominate.
- Your ski equipment (skis/board/bindings/poles) is only covered whilst in use (and when under three years old).
What SureSave means by ‘winter sports’:
- Snow skiing and snowboarding (on piste and off-piste) within the resort and terrain park boundaries on groomed and ungroomed runs and marked trails which are patrolled or monitored by resort authorities;
- Back country skiing and snowboarding including heli-skiing and cat skiing; only when on a guided tour with a licensed tour operator;
- Snowmobiling when provided by the recognised piste authority for transport to and from areas designed for recreational skiing within resort boundaries, or when on a guided tour with a licensed tour operator;
- Tobogganing on marked trails, on-piste only;
- Cross-country skiing on groomed and ungroomed runs and marked trails which are patrolled or monitored by resort authorities; and
- Telemark skiing within the resort and terrain park boundaries on groomed and ungroomed runs and marked trails which are patrolled or monitored by resort authorities.
You will only be covered for the winter sports listed above if you have bought the Winter Sports Option (and it is shown on your COI). To be covered when participating in any of these sports, you must stay in areas that a resort, tour operator or relevant local authority has designated as safe.
When your SureSave plan includes Benefit 19: Snow Skiing Benefits, there is also cover for:
- Piste closure – If before commencing your trip the skiing facilities at the resort you have pre-booked are totally closed due to adverse snow conditions (including the absence of snow during the usual ski season), we will pay a set daily limit under each plan for each day of closure.
- Pre-paid costs – If you suddenly take ill or are injured during your trip and are prevented from skiing/snowboarding for more than 24 hours, we will pay the proportional amounts of irrecoverable pre-paid charges for your pre-paid:
- Lift passes;
- Equipment hire;
- Ski school costs.
Equipment replacement – We’ll allow you to hire alternative ski equipment when your equipment has been temporarily misdirected or its arrival has been delayed for more than 24 hours or if your equipment has been lost, stolen or accidentally damaged.
For the maximum benefit limits and sub limits that apply, please refer to the following sections of the PDS;
‘Your Policy Benefits’ from page 6; and ‘Details of Your Cover’ from page 28 onwards.
What’s not covered?
- Damage to ski equipment over three years old
- Damage to ski equipment and leisure equipment due to normal wear and tear including dents and scratches
- Flight component of heli-skiing when you are not a passenger in a licensed passenger aircraft (i.e. you alight mid-air before the helicopter has safely landed)
- Racing at any time
- Professional sports (i.e. you are receiving a wage or appearance fee for training for or participating in the activity)
- Extreme sports or experimental versions of any sport
- Intentionally exposing yourself to a needless risk or not taking reasonable care
- Any search and rescue expenses
- Medical expenses in Australia
- Personal Liability relating to your employment or profession (i.e. ski instructor)
Additional exclusions specific to Benefit 19:
- You engage in bobsleighing/bobsledding, snow rafting, para-penting, ski acrobatics, skijoring and any form of power assisted skiing or use of mechanised snow-mobiles except as provided by the recognised piste authorities for transport to and from areas designed for recreational skiing
- Events that occur outside the normal ski season
- Where the resort does not have skiing facilities at least 1,000 metres above sea level
Full terms, conditions and exclusions are available in the PDS.